1.16.2012

Weekly Photo Challenge

As you know, I love taking photos.  Of anything and EVERYTHING.  Towards the end of 2011 I was starting to get a little discouraged as I wasn't getting too many phone calls for photo shoots and wasn't feeling too motivated to just go out and shoot.  On my twitter feed I stumbled upon a few articles on how to improve your photography and get out of that "photography rut."  

One was to partake in a weekly and/or 365 photo challenge.  I am already doing my own 365 photo challenge (which I will talk about in a later post) so I decided to find myself a weekly photo challenge.  To be honest I am not quite sure where I heard of LensProToGo's weekly photo challenge but it was the first one I read about that sends you an email each month with a photo category for each week of that month.

And with only two weeks in 2012 so far, I have participated in all of them. ;)  

The first challenge was a "A Self Portrait Without You In It."  When I first read this, I was like "whaaaaaaaaaat?!"  How is it supposed to be a self portrait if I'm not in it?  Since I was confused I look at the LensProToGo's 52 Week Photo Project group on Flickr (where participants upload their entries each week) to see what others had photographed.  AHA!  They are asking me to photograph something that represents who I am.  Got it!  

The next challenge was finding something that represents who I am.  I was sitting in my office after a busy Wednesday morning/afternoon and happened to look up and see a magnet that I have had on my filing cabinets since I've been there.  On the magnet are different cartoon-ish faces with different feelings (i.e. angry, frustrated, tired, sad, happy, etc) written under each face.  Another magnet comes with it that looks like a frame that says "Today I feel."  You then take the frame magnet and put it over what ever face/feeling you are feeling that day.  Do you know what I'm talking about?  No?  

Does this help? Anyway, my motto for about a year now has been to find the positive in any situation and always remain hopeful. Since I have made a conscious effort do this I feel my new outlook on life has brought me more opportunities and every day looks a little brighter.  I know it sounds cheesy but it has so far been true for me.  Isn't the face kinda cute?

Week 2's photo challenge was a photo of "Your Front Door."  I thought to myself; "Well, this'll be easy."  However, I was wrong.  Our front door is rather boring.  Not much to it.  It's just a front door.  How could I get creative with a boring front door?  I had an idea in mind that I was so sure would work. Wrong.  Starting to get discouraged as the week was coming to an end (your photo has to be submitted to LensProToGo 52 Week Photo Project's Flickr group by Sunday night).  

As luck would have it, it snowed most of the day Friday (although not enough for work to call us off - boo!).  A lot of snow blew on our front porch covering our doormat.  As I walked up our front steps I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to shoot the front door.  

See, told you my front door is kinda boring.  And as you can see we still haven't taken our Christmas decoration (only thing we put up this year) yet.  I first wanted to photograph my footprints on the doormat but noticed they just kinda looked like round blobs (was wearing Ugg knockoffs) and was not about to put my bare feet on a cold snow covered doormat even for photography's sake.  I then noticed some of the "Welcome" had been brushed away so I brushed snow off the rest of the "Welcome."  To me that has a lot of meaning. Although, our front door may be boring, our home is always open to friends and family and what is inside once you open the door is what really matters.  

What would your photo look like for each theme?  What would you take a picture of for a self-portrait without you in it?  How would you shoot your front door?  

I look forward to this week's challenge: "Your Favorite Thing" (secretly hoping we can pick more than just one) and sharing it with y'all.  

What about you?  Have you decided to partake in any photography projects for 2012?

Hope everyone had a great weekend and not to stressful Monday (if you had to work)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from y'all. Comments are my favorite!