8.15.2014

nostalgia | + recent reads

Yesterday morning I went to visit my old coworkers.  Since leaving, I don't often go back.  And it's a shame really since the town holds a lot of memories for me.  It was where I rented my first apartment, had my first big girl job, paid my bills, lived away from my parents, started dating the now husband, and learned to enjoy running.  I used to sit on these benches and read during my lunch break or write my case notes.  It was nice to spend a few hours with old friends and in my old stopping grounds.  Reminded me that I need to return more often.  I miss it.   
There is beauty in nostalgia. 

Speaking of nostalgia, I cannot help but bring up - yes, i know, again - the death of Robin Williams.  As with the rest of the world, I cannot stop thinking about him  and his family.  For some reason, his sudden death has affected me much more than any other celebrity deaths.  Maybe it's because I grew up watching Mrs Doubtfire, Aladdin, and Hook?  I really don't know why.  I just know that it has.  My stomach aches whenever I think about what his family must be going through right now and all of the questions that will continue to go unanswered.
Below are some of my favorite posts written about his death:

1 // While the death of celebrities do make me said, Robin's death is, at least for me, different than any of the others.  I am always annoyed by people's Facebook statuses or Twitter posts about how sad they are that so and so died.  I just felt like it was another effort to post another sob story and make it about them.  However, this post from Adam made me think differently.

2 // Working in the field of psychology for 6.5 years helped me to understand Depression and it's effects on the daily life of the person suffering from it.  This post written by Tyler is spot on.  Hollywood has been demonizing mental illness for decades.  Let's make something positive from his suicide and take the opportunity to discuss mental illness with your loved ones to help them instead of stigmatizing it and making them feel even more alone. 

3 // I am a huge of Raven.  She may come off as brash to some but I appreciate her brutal honesty.  The older I get the less patients I have for bullshit.  Anyway, she writes about how important it is not to judge someone's actions unless you have walked in their shoes.  No, I cannot imagine leaving behind my loved ones by my own doing.  But then again I have never been so depressed that I cannot imagine any other option but to take my own life.  Remember, "everyone has a story." 

And because nothing else seems appropriate today, a little Genie for #backthatazzup Friday. 
Friend Like Me by Disney on Grooveshark

What makes you feel nostalgic?
What was your Robin Williams movie?

Linking up with Aimee and Caitlin, Whitney, and Amanda today!

post signature

3 comments:

  1. I can't stop thinking about it either. I think that his passing has affected a lot people more than other celebrity deaths because so many of us took something from him through his films --- laughs, joy --- and then failed him by not being able to give enough back. Or something. If that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for linking up with Finding Beauty! I love the shot that you chose - all those shadows + sun mixed :) And yes, yes, yes to what you said about depression and the mental health field. I worked in that field for 8 years, and am now returning to it after a 3 year break. You definitely get to understand the inner-workings of mental health issues through the job + it gives you a completely different outlook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so agree that everyone has a story and we can't judge people without knowing what they are thinking/feeling.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from y'all. Comments are my favorite!