2.25.2013

Crane Wife, Part 3

The other day I was on our couch reading through my blogs on my phone while listening to Pandora on the TV and The Decemberists Crane Wife Part 3 came on.  At first I couldn't remember who it was.  But after rackin my brain for a few minutes I remembered.  And it got me thinkin about my favorite musicians and how I got into them.

I first heard The Decemberists in 2008 when husband, but then only bf, got back after spending 6 weeks in Oregon learning how to make cob homes (a different post for a different day).  I fell in love with Crane Wife Pt 3 but none of their other songs really did it for me.  It wasn't until their 2011 The King Is Dead album came out that I really started to have an appreciation for the band.

And while I pretty much enjoy every song on that album, I think January Hymm might be my favorite:


On a winter's Sunday I go
To clear away the snow
And green the ground below

April all an ocean away
Is this a better way to spend the day?
Keeping the winter at bay

What were the words I meant to say
Before you left
When I could see your breath lead
Where you were going to

Maybe I should just let it be
And maybe it will all come back to me
Seeing, oh, January, oh

How I lived a childhood in the snow
And all my teens in tow
Stuffed in strata of clothes

Hail the winter days after dark
Wandering the gray memorial park
A fleeting beating of hearts

What were the words I meant to say
Before she left
When I could see her breath lead
Where she was going to

Maybe I should just let it be
And maybe it will all come back to me
Seeing, oh, Janu... 
Oh, January, oh


What about you???  What was one of the first songs that got you into listening to your now favorite artist(s)?

linking up with My So-Called Chaos for today's Musical Monday
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from y'all. Comments are my favorite!