9.17.2014

we have to try | weekly inspiration

If I could go back in time it would be either during the Renaissance time period - only if my family was rich and I got to attend all of those glamorous balls - or the 1960s during the Civil Rights Movement.  I have always found injustices fascinating.  Maybe it is because I grew up in the south but I think it is because it is something I could just never understand.  Treating another human being as an object to be bought, sold, abused, and used just because of the color of their skin or beliefs is unfathomable to me.  

So once I read the description of The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd, I knew I would enjoy it.  A story of two girls - who become impeccable women - who live in Charleston in the early 19th century, one a plantation owner's daughter, Sarah, and the other a slave of the plantation owner, Handful.  The story of how these seemingly two different people's lives come together and how each are affected by the other is beautiful.  This was another one I could not put down.  I loved the different perspectives of the two characters and hearing the story told from each point of view. 

Pictured below is one of my favorite lines from the book.  Anyone with an ounce of compassion and empathy wants to help those who are in need.  I mean isn't it human nature to what to change what is wrong with the World?  
"Life is arranged against us, Sarah.  And it's brutally worse for Handful and her mother and sister.  We're all yearning for a wedge of sky, aren't we?  I suspect God plants these yearnings in us so we'll at least try and change the course of things.  We must try, that's all."

Have you read The Invention of Wings?
If so, what did you think?
If you could go back to  any time period, what would it be?

Linking up with Shanna and Julie today!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from y'all. Comments are my favorite!